Sunday, November 29, 2009

Black and White



I am fascinated by black depression glass, although I don't necessarily want to have any in my house. But it really interests me that in a world of dainty translucent pinks, greens, yellows and occasional blues, there exists a handful of plates, cups, creamers and sherbets that have chosen a moodier path in life.  This post will feature a variety of black and white glass.  Nice contrast, don't you think?  The above sherbet is from the "Cloverleaf" set by Hazel-Atlas, one of the few sets to offer black pieces.  Other patterns in which black can be found include:
"Delilah Bird" by Paden Glass Company
"Diamond Quilted" by Imperial
"Flower Garden with Butterflies" by U.S. Glass
"Frances" by Central Glass Works
"Lincoln Inn" by Fenton
"Newport" by Hazel Atlas
"Orchid" by Paden Glass
...and a few others.

I guess the 1930's housewife was edgier that I've given her credit for.


"Cloverleaf" set by Hazel Atlas




Anchor Hocking "Lace Edge"




Fire King Grease Jar or Mixing bowl




"Colonial Block" powder jar by Hazel-Atlas




Fire King "Black Circle with Flowers" Range Set




Fire King Measuring Cups
This picture came from a pretty awesome Flikr Photostream you can check out by clicking the source link.


"Shell" Milk Pitcher by Fire King


McKee Roman Shakers

1 comment:

  1. I am so flattered that you've included me on your blog!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete